The Hawaii Green Business Program (HGBP) assists and recognizes businesses that strive to operate in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
A partnership between Hawaii’s Department of Health; Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; and the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii, this program highlights businesses that are dedicated to creating a sustainable Hawaii.
- To work with, assist and recognize businesses that strive to operate in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
- To facilitate opportunities for industry members to share sustainability best practices.
- To help businesses go beyond compliance, particularly in the areas of:
- Energy Conservation
- Waste Reduction
- Pollution Prevention
- Water Conservation
- Natural Resource Preservation
- Community Involvement
- Cultural Preservation
GO GREEN, $AVE GREEN
The HGBP creates a profitable partnership between business, government, and a concerned public. Through improvements in operational efficiency, procurement procedures, regulatory compliance and community relations, HGBP members see improvement to their financial bottom line, while supporting efforts towards a more sustainable Hawaii.
- Reduced waste and utility costs
- Improved systems and equipment performance
- Positive public recognition and business promotion
- Attracting environmentally conscious customers
- Demonstrating community good will
- Establishing good relationships with regulators
- Providing a safer workplace
- Motivating and recognizing employees’ environmental efforts
- Free onsite compliance assistance
The Hawaii Green Business Program currently has four categories:
The HGBP initially focused on Resorts & Hotels due to the large number of visitors in Hawaii, and the potential for significant resource reduction through conservation. Successes there resulted in the HGBP expanding into other industries, targeting Office & Retail spaces, and more recently Restaurant & Food Service Facilities. Our program builds on the involvement and energy of our member businesses that serve as leaders within their industry.
Not sure where to buy recycled content paper?
Need ideas to reduce your energy consumption, but aren’t sure where to start?
How about tips you can post around your business to remind employees of the small things that make a difference?
Check out our Resources Page for fact sheets and links that are useful for both businesses just getting started, as well as those striving to improve even more!