PUBLIC SCOPING MEETINGS REGARDING THE HAWAII INTERISLAND RENEWABLE ENERGY PROGRAMPosted on Jan 14, 2011 in News Releases
For Immediate Release: January 14, 2011
HONOLULU – The Department of Energy (DOE) and the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT) will host public meetings on Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Oahu to receive comments on the scope of the Hawaii Interisland Renewable Energy Program (HIREP): Wind Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The EIS reviews possible environmental impacts that may arise from wind energy program development under the HIREP and the range of reasonable options.
“This is an excellent forum for concerned citizens to express their opinions, speak with experts and talk about moving Hawaii towards a brighter energy future,” says Estrella A. Seese, Acting Energy Administrator, State Energy Office.
TIMES, DATES AND LOCATIONS:
• February 1, 2011 – McKinley High School Cafeteria, 1039 South King Street, from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
• February 2, 2011 – Pomaikai Elementary School Cafeteria, 4650 South Kamehameha Avenue in Kahului, from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
• February 3, 2011 – Mitchell Pauole Community Center, 90 Ainoa Street, Kaunakakai, Molokai, from 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
• February 5, 2011 – Lāna‘i High & Elementary School Cafeteria, 555 Fraser Avenue, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Both oral and written comments will be considered by DOE and DBEDT. Requests to speak at any of the public scoping meetings should be submitted to Mr. Allen G. Kam, Esq., AICP, HIREP-Wind EIS Manager, on or before January 28, 2011, by any of the following means:
• By e-mail to [email protected]
• By submitting electronic comments on the EIS web page at www.hirepwind.com
• By facsimile (fax) to 808-586-2536, Attention Allen G. Kam.
• By mail to:
Allen G. Kam, Esq., AICP
HIREP EIS Manager
State Energy Office, Renewable Energy Branch
Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism
P.O. Box 2359
Honolulu, Hawaii 96804
Requests to speak may also be made at the meetings; however, requests received by January 28, 2011, will be given priority in the speaking order. Additional project information can be found at the project website: www.hirep-wind.com.
For more information, contact:
Interim Director, DBEDT
Phone: (808) 586-2355
Anthony J. Como
DOE NEPA Document Manager
Phone: (202) 586-5935
Allen G. Kam, Esq., AICP
HIREP-Wind EIS Manager
Phone: (808) 587-9023